Friday, August 8, 2008

Skagway Choo-Choo Fun

Shortly after docking in Skagway, we boarded the White Pass & Yukon Railroad, which took us on a three-hour, roundtrip ride up to the U.S./Canadian border to British Columbia - Yukon Territory. My nephew Drew would've LOVED this trip. Some of the sights included waterfalls, tunnels, bridges and an old cemetery.

Although it was rainy and cold, there was a radiator in each car. And we lucked out as the car we originally boarded was adjacent to an accessible car with only three people aboard. One of the conductors allowed us to car-hop (which you're not supposed to do), so we had the place virtually to ourselves. There were platforms on the front and back of each car you could stand on to take pictures. I found myself listening for the announcements inside the car, then informing those "on deck" about what was coming, then huddling back near the radiator. They provided lots of bottled water and a restroom on each car, so I was all set.

On the way up to the Yukon I was a picture-snapping fool. I relaxed a lot more on the way back, focusing on catching the shots I missed on the way up. I really enjoyed the train!










2 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow, you gotta great pictures ;p i'm photograph lover... you blog is great too. If you could visit my page i'll be glad.

Singer-Dawson Family said...

Beatiful pics, I know you are having a wonderful time!!!! I can't wait to here about it in person!